The Catalyst Award supports capacity building and collaboration in population health with up to £5 million enabling groups to deliver impact over and above what they could do alone.
The Award aims to:
- Boost progress aligned to our strategic priorities
- Build new collaborations within and between institutions, nationally and internationally
- Build capacity in population research
Applicants will need to:
- Establish a hub across at least 3 locations creating a new collaboration (collaborating institutions may be international, but the hub should consist of at least one UK based institution)
- Support a new research direction for the hub, in line with CRUK strategic priority areas
- Commit to data sharing and open access to resources
- Plan for sustainability beyond the lifetime of the award
Funding is flexible, but applications may include funds to support the following types of activities:
- Central coordination of the hub across the collaborating institutions.
- Discretionary fund to be spent on pilot/development studies for innovative/high risk work, or for bridge-funding exceptional early career researchers.
- Recruitment of rising star or senior expert into the hub, where expertise is currently lacking.
- Infrastructure, e.g. data/sample curation and management – physical and staff resources.
- Multidisciplinary research projects.